Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Words

Edmund asked me yesterday if I knew what "retard" meant.

I'm pretty sure that I managed to stay outwardly calm, and said that I did.

While I was trying to figure out how to continue this conversation -- where did you hear that word? who said it? To whom was it said? Here's why it's not a word you should be using.... -- he continued, "it means slow."

"Well, yes, it does." I agreed. Technically. I guess?

Then I asked him where he heard it.

At school. In music class.

Oh! "ritard!"

Not the conversation I thought we were having.....

2 comments:

  1. Short for ritardando! I am a music teacher and the kids always smirk when I introduce the word in a musical context - they know the "old fashioned" or "not politically correct" word for developmentally challenged!

    ReplyDelete