It didn't quite play out the way I'd hoped, but it may still all turn out OK. (Well, it will all still turn out OK. There is only a minuscule chance at this point that the adoption could fall through, which is the only result that isn't "turning out OK.")
The Director reviewed and approved our homestudy. She was done with this early in the first week of November.
However, the DFCS caseworker wasn't able to set a signing date with us until early next week.
I'm still being told a December closing date is a "reasonable goal." This particular county (and caseworker) have a reputation for wrapping things up pretty efficiently. (Other counties in my state, however....oh, boy. The county in which I live? Currently has a 3-5 month wait from the time of signing to even getting a court date assigned...which can still be another few months out. Hence, we are finalizing the adoption in the county in which M's case is held.)
After we sign, our lawyer has to file paperwork with the court. Then we get a court date.
And then I will be able to be confident that we'll be able to finalize in 2014, before Christmas.