Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Girls

I have one biological daughter, and she has Asperger's. This means that she has never been, and will never be, a "typical girl." She does not care what she wears. Or how her hair looks. Or want to wear nail polish or lip gloss or wonder if she "looks pretty."

And I thank the great Lord in heaven above for it.

L is reminding me why that is a blessing in my life as she, at age 8, is already very particular about how she looks. She has declined food "because it will make me fat" (she is a perfectly normal weight for her age and height, as are both her parents); she dresses herself, carefully coordinating outfits; she wears necklaces and bracelets and rings, all either made by herself or given to her by a family member.

This morning, though, I had to intervene. It was 20 degrees outside and still dark. She tried to decline to wear a hat (or any sort of head covering) to the bus stop. Why?  It'll mess up my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment